Random Things to Bring:
- Umbrella(S) - Pack a quality medium size umbrella and buy a Huge one in CR.
- Ziplock (or similar) Bags. You will use these to put your scriptures, books and anything else you don't want to get wet. All sizes are useful.
- Good Back Pack or Messenger Bag. (Sisters, don't bring an over the shoulder purse)
- Waterproof case for your scriptures if you can find one - but not necessary (when you get here - you will become creative and make one! Zip Lock Bags and used milk cartons are Great) see photo!
- Bug Repellent - USE it, we get Dengue here and it is not fun.
- Good Flip Flops for the Shower and to Wear Around your House
- Sisters Make-up is very expensive here - bring what you love.
- A Good Comfortable pair of Walking Shoes - however in the rainy season they will be ruined - due to...Rain!!! In the rainy season many of the Hermana's are wearing -Crocs Brand of dress shoes - or other brands similar. They have some nice "Sunday Shoe" type of shoes that handle water very well.
- Do not bring a heavy towel - it will take to long to dry. A large beach towel type works well or Micro fiber towel.
Some Good Medications to Bring:
(most of the items, listed below, you can get here in Costa Rica - but they are Expensive)
- Multivitamin - can purchase here but expensive
- Gold Bond Powder - can purchase power here but NOT power with menthol.
- If you are allergic to Peanut Butter bring Epi Pens - they don't sell them here.
- Melatonin - if you have problems relaxing or sleeping. Some missionaries have found this helps
- There are some areas we don't have Hermana's serving - it is safe for Elders. We inspect our missionaries homes for safety - both location and house itself. Please keep your house clean or orderly at all times - this helps with bugs, cockroaches, mosquitoes, spiders & more. You can Not feel the Spirit if your house is a mess!
- If you dearly love something and can't live life without it - Don't bring it.
- We have had some robberies and break-in's. NONE of our missionaries have ever been hurt.
- Don't carry lots of money, valuables, cameras or expensive items in your back pack. Carry your phone in your sock. If you are ever approached tell them you have scriptures/books only in your bag. Stay calm and do what they say - we have had missionaries robbed, however no one has ever been hurt - Hermana's always keep your hair back & off your plaque so your plaque is visible at all times.
- People learn that missionaries carry nothing of value and for the most part leave them alone. Many areas missionaries are protected and respected by locals. Streets are safe to walk in. Don't ever do anything that would give the missionaries or church a bad name or reputation.
- I have never been nervous or worried - however I always try to be smart and safe.
- WATER is safe to drink - no water filters are needed.
Costa Rica Weather:
- Temperature is about 65-80F with a lot of Humidity
- Many of our missionaries do get cold - so bring a light jacket or sweater.
- There are 2 seasons in Costa Rica: Wet and Dry. December - April is Summer or Dry Season (it does rain during this time - just not as much. May begins the Rainy Season or Winter/Green Season. By October Rain is in Full Force!
Not just for Hermanas:
This week Mary (our daughter at BYU-I) went to lunch with some Hermanas coming to Costa Rica - she asked me to type up things to tell them: below is what I sent here - Good Info!!!
Hermanas - close toed shoes - you will be walking a lot, bring good shoes - bring Nice Sunday style Crocs to wear during Wet Season. No flip-flops/sandals except for shower.